What’s New at Newgen
Get your website tested for ADA compliance todayRead More
What's new at Newgen
Join the audio revolution and experience the full range of audiobook publishing servicesRead More
What's new at Newgen
Introducing NOVA, a customised digital publishing and content distribution platform to host, manage and sell your contentRead More
What's new at Newgen
Complex technical documents made really simple, with our expertiseRead More
- NewGen managed more than 10,000 corrections for over 2500 pages with the help of a unique workflow that helped maintain consistency, increased efficiency and established effective coordination between multiple stakeholders.
The unique workflow involved managing content consistently across the main text, appendices, index, tables and endpapers – processed in batches, each with its own schedule.
The print and electronic versions were delivered in record time through efficient project management services.
- Developmental editing to complete management of the book production process was done for a leading medical title. The project was streamlined efficiently through a multilevel review system, facilitated by effective communication protocols. Managing complex design requirements and last-minute text and art changes in an accelerated timeframe was effectively handled by breaking content into chapter-level chunks at a time.
Rigorous quality checks and file validation using tools like PAC3, JAWS and NVDA were carried out to ensure the delivery of an error-free output.
PDF remediation and Microsoft documents were made accessible for 7 input languages, including complex right-to-left (Arabic and Farsi) languages.
- Newgen automated the conversion of academic titles into digital formats for a leading academic publisher. Our proprietary technology, SilkEvolve, and other conversion, workflow management and tracking tools were used to automate, manage and track production, respectively.
- A unique and customized MS Word-based workflow was devised to handle the manuscript submission and copyediting process. This enabled us to eliminate an entire review round, thereby gaining 3 weeks in time to market. The proof generation process was automated, and a Word-based indexing and tabling process was devised, resulting in a significant reduction in content errors.
- This was a complex and high-profile four-volume medical title with 900 contributors and 700 chapters. The project involved coordinating with high-profile authors, high levels of typesetting complexity, technical illustrations and 3 levels of review. In addition, content updates were happening right until the final stages. Our efficient project management, art rendering and composition skills enabled the delivery of this project in record time.
- Developed & implemented a turn-key process that took the author’s manuscript through all stages of developmental editing to delivering the print PDF to printer. Smartchart inputs were used to compare the laws across states
- A citation automation API tool was developed for legal documents and was used to store and maintain databases, quickly access data and collate reports, which helped in a significant reduction in time to market.
- A detailed character study helped conceptualize and illustrate 70 characters with varied facial expressions set against 160 different backgrounds. Newgen helped the publisher with analysis, planning, processing, designing and reviewing.
- Newgen developed a web-based XML portal for faster file validation, while automation helped in hastening the delivery process by correcting the Schematron errors. The process of identifying faulty stocks and resending it to the vendor for corrections, distribution and archival storage process has been automated.
- Three different layouts for the same content and a spine XML for avoiding redundant manuscript creation were created. On completion of booklet release, galley proofs for looseleaf were created automatically.
- The first set of pass proofs and proof corrections were delivered in a turnaround time of few hours and minutes. The complete process of production was executed in just 20 working days, along with online and folio CD versions.
- Newgen digitized tracking of self-publishing titles by developing online solutions to improve the efficiency of the entire process, right from collection to distribution.
- Enabled publishers to track and certify the titles before its launch resulting in speedy delivery and quality check of the files submitted.
- A unique online database (including biographical information and lawyers’ evaluations) was created for every judge, which can be updated regularly by the client’s editorial staff and published online on a monthly basis.
- Detailed illustrations were drawn and reproduced from rough sketches provided by the author. It was creatively and vividly represented with appropriate colours and textures. The art program was done ahead of the typesetting process in order to get the illustrations redrawn and approved by the authors before placing them in the pages. The final approved art was certified by Newgen's manufacturing team for print quality.
- Published the book much ahead of the scheduled timeline. Ensured constant coordination between internal teams and authors to speed up the review process.
- Helped Ingram resolve distribution and validation issues for 20,000 titles every week. Automated the fixing of tags by developing a web portal.
- Worked on restructured workflow with parallel processes to optimise review time for production. Ensured to create an impact on first glance with the editor and the author as well as to avoid too many revised stages.
- Newgen’s team of lawyer-editors are managing this newsletter. They regularly source all updates in the federal tax area and identify newsworthy material for Federal Tax Day.
- Conducted a meticulous analysis of the essence of the story, listed out the points that the cover design should address and validated the points against a blueprint before submission.
- The complexities involved managing erratic author schedules with efficient project management processes. Since the content dealt with real-time applications, they were crafted to perfection and programmed to reach the user in prior time. Precise GPS coordinates were provided. A complete focus on data integrity and accuracy was needed and this was achieved through rigorous fact-checking processes done by cartographers and authors.
- The production process of this multi-year project consisting of 10 volumes with more than 1000 pages was managed with ease by an efficient offshore delivery team. The complexities involved transcribing hundreds of ‘tear-sheets’ converting them into Word documents, which were then inserted into the correct locations within the existing manuscript files for the new material. Although many of the entries in each volume were previously published in English, the writing and grammatical styles of the texts, many of which were hundreds or even thousands of years old, had to be maintained.
- A book based on the most divisive political issues and authored by a former political leader had to be published at speed. Frequent reprint updates were also required to keep this high-profile, topical content current. Newgen provided a full service workflow that included copy edit and full author support. An experienced long-standing copy-editor was booked in advance to handle the project.
- Newgen worked on Hebrew and English editions of a 560-page academic title with perfect design adaptation. This edition had the commentary in Hebrew and English side-by-side, with the help of a copy editor fluent in Hebrew. The book went into production after multiple quality checks.
The print and online versions of the taxation guides for this publisher are seamlessly updated using customized processes and tools.
The integrated modules of Newgen’s editorial framework (CE Genius) enable effective and consistent enhancement of content, which then helps the editorial team in updating content efficiently, in conformance with the publisher’s style, into the framework of the WMS (Workflow Management System). A module for language editing, NLP (Natural Language Processing), is also plugged in to the WMS.
The online versions are updated and released within 24 hours of receipt of updates, while the print versions are completed in 8 weeks.
The 3--stage process consists of content sourcing, news selection and writing, and legal consolidation.
The content sourcing process involves stringent monitoring for real-time sourcing. The news selection and writing are completed within 2 hours of sourcing.
Newgen’s automated publishing platform helps produce flawless publications for print & online.
- A reputed scientific journal had to be published in real-time to ensure that the scientific community is up-to-date with the latest breakthroughs. Newgen developed a technology platform that provided seamless multiple workflows and solved the problem of tracking academic titles through a real-time tracking tool. Authors, journal managers, editors & publishers are all seamlessly integrated with this tool.
Newgen did a thorough analysis and evaluation of the different downstream requirements of the digital and print products, the magnitude of the work involved, and the delay in the current workflow (2-3 weeks).
A workflow was designed where the entire spectrum of requirements was captured in a single source file and preserved during the life cycle of the entire production process.
Every change request was carefully analyzed for updates, keeping the downstream requirements considered always
- Newgen worked with the popular Frommers Travel Guides to create interactive eBooks. The practical features of these eBooks included integration with Google Map links, an offline map feature helping the reader jump between maps and reviews. Bookmarks, seamless flipping between pages, quick search capabilities, embedded links to recommended websites, zoom-in options for maps and images, and links to essential travel services are some of the interesting features of these eBooks.
- This university-level book consisted of real-world topics; high-frequency structures and vocabulary; thematic presentation of material and engaging speaking activities. This was extended to a supporting microsite with interactive content - 800 media rich files, every word linked to audio files in the dictionary, an answer key, a searchable audio dictionary, interactive classroom activity materials.
- ONIX data file format is the global XML standard format for transmitting title information. Instead of using InDesign to create the catalogue, NewGen configured various designs into the system and used ONIX pick up appropriate design depending on the information available in the XML and transformed into beautiful catalogue with a single click. The output was accurate and quick with a significant gain in time and cost, by reducing the manual workflow.
- This highly circulated medical journal hits international readership within days of submission with articles cited across multi-disciplinary journals. Newgen’s project management team delivers the final output with zero changes, accurate content and within the stipulated time. Handling operational challenges like multiple stakeholders, constant late requests, inclusion of additional supplements, management of advertising through meticulous follow-ups, excellent communication and automation.
- Newgen worked with a leading educational publisher to develop a French multi component series, including audio and video. A team of MFL specialists managed components across three years, building relationships through collaboration and a strong one-team approach with the customer. Careful assessment of interdependencies between project components alongside streamlining of workflows ensured quality and efficiency.
- Newgen was commissioned to produce a series of literacy readers for primary school children. A dedicated team of in-house project managers in the onshore team, worked closely with several illustration agencies and skilled offshore design studio. Project Managers directly commissioned authors from an approved pool and directed every aspect of each title from initial draft through to signed-off content ready for press. Titles were delivered on time and the series is contributing to the client's rapid growth and tremendous success.
- Managing over 35000 changes and extensive updates at the proof stage challenged the publication date of the title. The project management team assessed the updates from the authors, validated the relevance of the corrections, and explained the challenge to the client, with an assessment of the extent of changes, the solutions, and its implications on the cost and schedule. The MuFO workflow was used ensuring that the project was completed without errors and within schedule.
- Study skill guides in healthcare were re-versioned for multiple new professions with constant feedback and contribution from authors and editors. The content was sourced from XML and converted to Word to help authors and editors work on platforms that they were most comfortable with. New workflow patterns were implemented to provide an agile approach to the project due to which the entire work was delivered on-time with precision.
- About 100 academic titles from the collection of works from the University of Michigan Library were scanned and converted into digital formats. This was done by adhering to the contract stating that scanning should be done on US soil. For this, our dedicated team in Texas scanned the content and carefully shared it with the conversion team for a thorough check and conversion into PDF & epub formats. The biggest challenge for the team was to carry out the process during the COVID-19 lockdown scenario, which was successfully completed efficiently and accurately.
- Efficient workflow for the production of advanced AI information sheets for a publisher of illustrated works was designed and executed with perfection. Automation technology was used to create a black box solution that converted the ONIX data to advanced information sheets, which saved time, improved quality and also helped the publisher stay up to date with the content.
Publishing 30+ books involved managing extensive updates, multiple reviews, typesetting and design complexities.
Efficient processes were implemented at every stage. For every title a complex typesetting sample was created for approval. An approval process was incorporated at every stage with additional quality checks by a dedicated team. The workflow was designed to accept and incorporate updates even at the last stage of the production process. A dedicated project manager worked on all the titles ensuring a smooth, positive experience.
- The different elements on the print pages had to be converted into interactive & inspiring content. The ebooks were created with intuitive features like ingredients changing based on the serve requirements using a Java Script API. enhanced search features included a recipe level navigation, seamless flip between pages, bookmarks and quick search capabilities. It also included embedded links to recommendations' websites, video demonstrations and reviews.
- The CDC Yellow Book is a complex 500+ page compilation of accurate, up-to-date travel health guidelines. This project involved handling the complexities of typesetting, complex design and a heavy distribution of figures, maps, charts, and tables. This project was handled by an expert team across functions. A consistent and custom workflow was implemented for each edition across typesetting, art, XML, manufacturing and project management. The scope for multiple rounds of review, extended review periods and updates were included at every stage.
- Authored by legal practitioners, this leading practitioners book for criminal lawyers had to be published in 30 days. Owing to the Covid crisis the manuscript came in late. The team had less than a month to typeset, copy edit, create indexes and conduct internal and external reviews. To ensure that there were no bottlenecks several processes were implemented like weekly status reviews, editorial quality checks on completion of every chapter. The book was completed on time without quality issues.
- End-to-end editorial services from developing workflows, design changes, close communication with the authors and precise proofreading of the content and design. With the delay in handover of the work, there was a shift in schedules which led to the reduction in the deadline. Our team worked closely with the designer and communicated with the authors and incorporated changes as and when the process was taking place, minimising the revisions at the time of publication.
- 500,000 complex image based pages had to be converted within 8 weeks by sourcing the latest version and deciphering the information precisely. Newgen focused on 2 aspects - adopting different workflows for different source file and ensuring a high level of accuracy by ensuring bi-directional functionality of the links, matching the printed version with enriched features, capturing foot-notes with pop-up features and semantic coding for easy reference. The product went online as per schedule.
- The early learning book by Ladybird required heavily templated typesetting and modifying the process to align with the client's requirements as they were new to the packaging process. To ease out the process, the designs were carefully developed with in-built QA checks and corrections that were incorporated immediately. The system had to be restructured for this client, in particular, to ease out any bottlenecks and ensure both teams were on the same track. By the end of the project, Ladybird was extremely happy with the service they received and the output.
- (LWW - UK), medical journal publisher, who was already signed up with an existing vendor approached Newgen for editorial service, composition and project management for their time-bound project after being extremely satisfied with our pilot-scale output. With our effective project management, the entire project, right from document structuring, XML conversion & copyediting was completed error-free within just 2 days from the time we received the manuscript, winning the trust & confidence of the authors. Moreover, the transition was hassle-free and also reduced the cost significantly.
- Brill, an academic publisher, was looking to finalise on a vendor for their project within their expected budget specifications. Newgen introduced a technical solution to ease the process of work for both sides. With Word - Indesign - PDF format of workflow, changes and updates were seamlessly integrated to the final output reducing the time and price for the project.
- Designing a systematic workflow, proper scheduling, effective communication and attention to detail helped us rebuild the entire process with accurate updates and monitoring, thereby meeting the author's expectation. Using Pubkit, feedback from all the stakeholders were incorporated diligently. Proactive project planning and timely delivery of high-standard output impressed the client leaving them happy with our service.
- The author of the book insisted that we share a hard copy of the book for his review and sharing the work manually during the COVID-19 crisis was not possible due to safety issues. Our Project Manager and OUP convinced him that the soft copy would be easily readable with perfect typesetting and design. Our entire team worked hard to ensure that the files were error-free with prompt communication and efficient incorporation of feedback. The author was extremely happy with the output delivered, praising the team and the Project Manager.
- The author’s main requirement was that the copy-editing processes be carried out without affecting the style of writing. The Project Manager along with OUP proactively coordinated with the author, collating all the discussion and requirements into an instruction sheet, which was shared with the copy editors for perfect implementation of the changes. Project plan, review and timelines were shared with the author and the project was delivered flawlessly without any delay from the schedule.
- The conventional method used to update the court judgements or official documents was carried out manually which was time-consuming as well as prone to human error. By integrating SMART technology, the files were converted to XML and published in real-time, thereby reducing work time drastically. Moreover, the automated system helps maintain a uniform pattern and ensures easy bucketing of the content for seamless conversion.
- Complex maths content was deciphered and transformed into perfect designs and illustrated into charts, graphs and figures. These designs were clear, precise and engaging with the main objective of enhancing the learning experience for the students in 5-15 programmes.
- Brill, an academic publisher, was looking to finalise a vendor for their project within expected budget specifications. Newgen introduced a technical solution to ease the work process. With workflow formats in Word, Indesign & PDF, changes and updates were seamlessly integrated to the final output reducing the time and price for the project.
- Converted over 4000 books in multiple languages like Latin, European and Russian into ebooks using our conversion tools. Along with technology, we also had a language expert to manage, review and validate content in various languages resulting in speedy and high-quality rendition of ebooks.
- Delivered high-quality publication services within a restricted time of 2 months. Customized workflows and an optimised review system ensured a quick turn-around.
- 23 GCSE educational titles had to be aligned with the recent updates - made comprehensible and accessible. From design & illustration, editorial, project management to accessibility services, the entire project was completed without any errors and within a month. Over 2901 print pages were delivered accurately and on-time with customised workflows that were framed to accommodate design revisions, evaluation, communication and delivery timelines.
- Extending A level online course content with engaging illustrations & designs for the Harrow school, which offers a full time online learning curriculum. 900 lessons and 7200 screens of content are being developed.
- A dedicated team across publishing, content and digital technology specialists were put together for creating the elearning books. The project management team oversaw the process, identified areas for improvement and oversaw the mediating risk.
- Diligent project planning & execution helped in quick and flawless publishing of a law book for the author Oda Hiroshi. The team scheduled calls for regular updates as requested by the author at every stage of project progression. Additionally, sharing clear information regarding the timelines, deliverables & commitments ensured a hassle-free publishing process.
- Newgen delivered high-quality typesetting for a mathematics academic book for school students of different grades. Dynamic project management, with a keen focus on design & meticulous typesetting ensured exceptional visual output of the layout by combining the geometric artworks, measurement units & formulae without any flaws.
- The book on corporate insolvency is a comprehensive guide containing invaluable information from two key professions, law & accountancy. To publish the book without any flaws, our team brought in a panel of subject matter experts consisting of 21 lawyers and 15 accountants for a thorough review. Skilled project management & efficient coordination helped in law book publishing, the first-of-its-kind book on corporate insolvency.
- Publishing an authoritative book on constitutional rights in simple language for creating awareness among the citizens was possible with the help of a high profile author. Our team coordinated with the author carrying out active discussions to come up with easily understandable content without compromising on the quality essence. Efficient project management system, thorough analysis and continuous communication led to the delivery of a reader-friendly guide on the functioning of the constitution.
- The internal team, editorial team and authors together reviewed and worked on the feedback given for the looseleaf updates. The looseleaf format acts as a complete guide for regular updates, forms, checklists, guidelines & laws pertaining to the Secretarial norms. The process set the base for consistent updates & handling of about 33 looseleaf updates a year. Customised approach & efficient project coordination was the reason for the timely delivery of the project.
- Newgen supported end-to-end legal publication service for a law book in record-time of two & a half months. The comprehensive legal guide with 14 insightful essays & discussions by leading legal authors had to be completed within a short timeline. Proactive project management & closely working with subject matter experts ensured that the book was published during the prestigious Faculty of Law’s 50th Anniversary of teaching law held in 2018.
- In continuation to our commissioning, editorial & project management services for a law book, we partnered with the same author for the next project. Efficient project coordination & timely feedback incorporation helped in meeting the tight timelines for publishing a complete guide on retrenchment, especially during the times of an ongoing pandemic. The book covers details on reducing the dependency on human resources, which was the need of the hour and was published in simple language for a wide range of audience to comprehend the content.
- Newgen's strong relationship with the author has opened up a new opportunity to work on the next book giving insights for Malaysian lawyers on the courtroom experiences & realities. A special feature called Lessons was added to the book which precisely illustrated the principles pertaining to the court. However, the urgent requirement to complete the project was possible with agile project management, constant communication with the author & diligent feedback incorporation to refine the special features.
- The book for children with hearing disorders includes a feature called glossing, an American sign language format which is added in place of the words for the readers to comprehend the text. Typesetting with glossing was the most challenging part of the project. Our team, along with the author, cracked the ideal approach after thorough understanding, diligent implementation & timely feedback incorporation.
- Our team was on the verge of completion of the project for publication when the author requested law updates relevant to the current pandemic. With quick execution by hastening the internal processes & ensuring stringent quality checks to avoid last-minute hassles, nearly 2000+ changes were incorporated without any flaws within the scheduled timeline. The authors were happy with our quick response and workflow management, especially when this was completed and delivered amidst a global health crisis.
The world's leading publishers work with Newgen
We create smart publishing solutions with our content,
process and technological capabilities.
We challenge the traditional model of publishing services through our platforms.
Streamline your workflow to seamlessly track all your content through the production process.
Automate the process of print-to-EPUB conversion through a reflowable eBook conversion platform.
Operating through a secure borderless workspace for our clients across the globe makes us ready for the new normal
Meet the Team
MD, Newgen UK
Having worked with publishers across the areas of academic, trade and education, Jo Botrill now manages everything from commissioning to print. Prior to working with Newgen, Jo worked with Cambridge University Press, Taylor & Francis and Macmillan, managing a range of content types and workflows.
MD, Newgen Europe
Bas Straub joined Newgen in 2014, post the amalgamation of his media production company - Konvertus - with Newgen Publishing, Europe. Prior to Konvertus, Bas was the director for product development and market development in Elsevier for 13 years.
A veteran in sales and business development, Karan Malhotra has over 22 years of experience in legal process outsourcing, legal content and workflow management, intellectual property and more. Prior to Newgen, Karan has managed a portfolio of onshore and offshore projects and processes in US, India, Mexico and China with a team size of 500+ at Thomson Reuters, Exela Technologies and Lason to name a few.
Director - Digital Accessibility & Publishing Solutions
Will is an experienced professional, with a history of working in the information technology and publishing services industry like Thomson Reuters, OUP, Justis. He guides our accessibility projects and helps with conforming our client's projects with usability and accessibility requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and American with Disability Act and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1. He holds a bachelor degree in law and a master in international law.