A legal looseleaf is a dynamic piece of content which is widely used in research related to law. With regulatory and administrative updates happening on a regular basis, a legal looseleaf is subject to frequent revisions to stay relevant and up to date on the topic of interest. These changes happen monthly or even weekly or biweekly. A legal company approached Newgen for the conversion of a legal looseleaf, which had to be precise, detailed and comprehensive.
A legal tax and accounting company approached Newgen for the data conversion of backlist legal looseleaf books. The biggest challenge was the expectation of completing large volumes of pages in a short timeline. Nearly 5 lakh pages of conversion had to be completed within just 8 weeks. Also, the source files were mixed with the images, which hindered the direct conversion process. Another concern with this eBook conversion was sourcing the latest updated files, which would help streamline further steps involved in conversion.
The Solution Delivered
Every source file was carefully analysed. And, for each file, a distinct workflow was adopted in order to streamline the process as well as deliver high-quality output. Since large volumes of files had to be converted accurately, maintaining a track was possible by following a custom workflow management. Here are various segments involved in the precise conversion of legal looseleaf:
- Thorough validation of the links including the table of contents, sections, indexes, paragraphs, tables, figures, web links, Caseref & Legislative links, design and so on. Both bidirectional functionality and the targeted area were analysed to confirm the completion of the checking process.
- Related external reference linking included in all the case references in the book were checked carefully.
- In reflowable format, the exact print version page layout was retained by targeting the client eBook platform.
Addition of Interactive Features
- Matching the printed version layout with additional design and enriched features for an enhanced experience for the end users.
- More of semantic coding structure (aside, header hierarchy, pop-up, etc.) was followed for easy references.
The Impact Created
By streamlining the workflow and segmenting the process, about 5 lakh pages were converted without any errors and went online in just 60 days. The client was extremely happy with the record-time completion of the work.