A legal looseleaf is a dynamic piece of content which is widely used in research related to law. With regulatory and administrative updates happening on a regular basis, a legal looseleaf is subject to frequent revisions to stay relevant and up-to-date on the topic of interest. These changes happen monthly or even weekly or bi-weekly. One of the legal companies approached Newgen for the conversion of the legal looseleaf, which had to be precise, detailed and comprehensive.
A legal tax and accounting company approached Newgen for the conversion project of backlist legal looseleaf books. The biggest challenge was the expectation of completing large volumes of pages in a short timeline. Nearly 5 lakhs pages of conversion had to be completed within just 8 weeks. Also, the source files were mixed with the images, which hindered the direct conversion process. Another concern with this e-book conversion was sourcing the latest updated files, which would help streamline further steps involved in conversion.
The Solution Delivered
Every source file was carefully analysed. And, for each file, a distinct workflow was adopted in order to streamline the process as well as deliver high-quality output. Since large volumes of files had to be converted accurately, maintaining a track was possible by following a custom workflow. Here are various segments involved in the precise conversion of legal looseleaf
- Thorough validation of the links including the table of contents, sections, index, paragraphs, tables, figures, web links, Caseref & Legislative links, etc. Both bi-directional functionality and the targeted area were analysed to confirm the completion of the checking process.
- Related external reference linking included in all the case references in the book were checked carefully.
- In reflowable format, the exact print version page layout was retained by targeting the client e-book platform.
Addition of Interactive Features
- Matching the printed version layout with additional, enriched features for an enhanced experience for the end users.
- More of semantic coding structure (aside, header hierarchy, pop-up, etc.) was followed for easy references.
The Impact Created
By streamlining the workflow and segmenting the process, about 5 lakh pages were converted without any errors and went online within just 60 days. The client was extremely happy with the record-time completion of the work.