Nova Guidelines for PDF Chunking
This guideline defines the complete requirements for ePDF delivery of the complete book. Nova recommends that you to follow the below requirements for ePDF delivery of the complete book
- Naming Rules
- Crop marks
- Title page
- Copyright page
- Linking from table of contents
- Linking Conditions
- List of Images/Tables
- File size
- Acrobat setting
The following are the PDF files that need to be delivered for each print version of a product.
- ePDF of the entire book
- ePDF per chapter
The ePDF file of the book will be named as follows:
|Article number of the book
Note: The chapterNr is given with three digits and leading zones
All crop marks must be removed from the whole document by cutting the pages to the final book size.
The book cover must be cut to the exact page size of the book's inner pages. The Front- and Back-Cover must be added as the first pages of the ePDF. The pagination will be "Cover" for the cover and "Cover2" for the back-cover (language independent). A bookmark must be set to the cover and is named "Cover" (language independent). No bookmark will be set to the back-cover. The bookmark of the cover is the first bookmark of the book and is at the same level as the bookmarks of the rest of the book. Delete the barcode + barcode box and ISBN entirely from the back cover panel PDF.
There are no bookmark for the title pages
Print related items should be removed.
"printed in", "Gedruckt auf säurefreiem Papier", …
The eISBN will be given by the publisher. The following are rules for adding the eISBN.
- The eISBN must be added to the copyright page, even if the book does not contain it.
- The same font as the font of the print ISBN must be used.
- It must be added with the attachment (ebook).
Example: 347-0-1876-345-9 (eBook)
The following are the rules for pagination.
- The pagination has to be exactly the same as in the content. Necessary changes must be done.
- The Roman and Arabic pagination must be identical, even capitalization and the use of small letters has to be kept.
Follow the below steps for carrying out bookmark function,
- Create a bookmark for each hierarchy level of the book that are available in the table of the contents of the print book.
- Linebreaks in the headline should be replaced by a blank.
- A full stop must be added, If there is no full stop at the end of the first line.
- Every bookmark has to be defined to the corresponding target page. The setting for bookmarks and the bookmarked table of content should be FIT_PAGE, not FIT_VIEW.
- For collective works/contributor books, the author name of a chapter should be added to the bookmark. Add a space and the author name in parenthesis after the title of the chapter.
Example: [Title] ([Author name(s)])
- Just the author name, if there is only one author.
Example: Title of the contribution (Adam John)
- For several authors, add a spaced slash between the names.
Example:Title of the contribution (Adam John/ John Franklin)
- Ensure that the bookmark of the ePDF matches exactly the toc entry (ncx-file) of the EPUB.
Linking from the table of contents
Every chapter line of the printed table of contents should be linked to the target page.
The linkage should be done as follows:
- Type of link: Invisible rectangle.
- Action of the link: Go to a page view (FIT_PAGE, not FIT_VIEW).Linking from the table of contents.
|Links to be added
|Links should not be added
Every URL should be linked
If the index had been created with indesign/word functionality
If they had been created manually
If the crosslinks had been created with indesign/word functionality
If they had been created manually
List of images/List of tables
Every image/table entry has to be linked to the according content page.
Action of the link: Go to a page view (FIT_PAGE).
Rules listed below should be followed for font function.
- All fonts must be embedded in the eBook.
- Complete document must be searchable and text can be copied.
- A preflight must be done to check if all fonts are embedded correctly.
Metadata (title and author)
The metadata of every single eBook must be added under the file properties. Follow the below rules for adding title and author names,
- Title should be separated with a colon. Example: Main-title: Subtitle
- If the Main-title ends with an exclamation mark or a question mark, these should not be separated with a colon.
- All authors should be listed completely.
- They should be separated with a comma between surname and forename as well as with a slash between each author. Example: For single author: Surname, Forename For multiple author: Surname, Forename / Surname, Forename etc.
- If it is the editor information, the information eds, Herausgeber, cur, f.e. should be added as it is printed on the front cover.
- If title and author are in caps, it should be changed to headline style, but intentional use of capitalization needs to be retained (Example: alienation).
The maximum size of a converted ePDF (eBook) should not exceed 10MB – 15MB. If the file exceeds the maximum size it has to be compressed until the permitted size is reached.
The following settings are required:
Follow the rules below for adding plate section,
- If there is a plate section in a separate file from the contents, that plate section has to be inserted into the ePDF exactly in the same place where it would appear on the printed book.
- The pages should be named with capital Roman Numbers,("I, II, III,") so as not to disturb the numbering remaining pages. A bookmark called "Plates" will be added for this section.
We at Newgen are extremely passionate about changing the way content is published and consumed. We strive to create remarkable, immersive and high-quality publications using the best of technology and expertise. We design and manage content solutions for global publishers enabling them to consistently deliver, expand and innovate.
Set up in 1996, Newgen has delivered publishing projects across industries and genres for some of the leading publishers in the world. With a team of 1300 members working across borders, we offer innovative and engaging ways to broadcast your content to the right audience through the right medium.